Flint proudly celebrates over 100 years of history serving the oil and gas industry...
2012 – On May 14, 2012 Flint became part of URS Corporation, and is now URS Flint. URS Corporation is a leading provider of engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies around the world. Flint acquired Santec Tool Services on February 2, 2012. Santec is a tubular management company with operations in Lloydminster, AB and Macklin, SK offering inspection and cleaning services and tubular product sales.
2011 – Flint opened a new branch in Houston, Texas offering Infrastructure Services for the first time in the U.S. market. In April, Flint was named Alberta’s Best Workplace in 2011 for Health and Safety. This award honours our employees who work daily towards our zero injury goal. A major oil sands construction contract was also secured for MEG Energy’s Christina Lake SAGD project near Conklin, Alberta. Additional work was also awarded to our Infrastructure Services group for Suncor’s Firebag in situ project. In the Fall of 2011, Flint expanded its geographical footprint and acquired Carson Energy Services, a Western Canada-based oilfield services company.
2010 - Flint acquired five new rig moving locations and equipment in the United States; three in East Texas, one in Louisiana and one in Oklahoma in order to expand Flint's Oilfield Hauling operations into the busy shale gas fields in the United States. We also launched a new joint venture company called Flint InnerArmor which offers an environmentally benign process to apply high performance protective coatings on products. Flint also acquired a production equipment fabrication company located in central Alberta which operates as Flint Process Systems. Flint completed its largest infrastructure project to date, the Shell Albian Sands Froth Treatment Plant in July 2010. Flint trademarked its logo in both Canada and the United States and the Tough and Trusted marketing brand was launched in the summer.
2009 - Flint Energy Services' name is synonymous with diverse solutions for the North American energy sector. We are an undisputed leader for delivering on time, on budget, and to the highest standards. Flint - like the projects we complete - is Built to Last.
2008 - Flint proudly celebrated 100 years of history serving the oil and gas industry and its 10 year anniversary as an incorporated company under the name Flint Energy Services Ltd. Revenues increased dramatically by 27% to a record $2.3 billion. All business segments contributed to record growth, and Flint continued to deliver with safety excellence, cost-efficient execution and exceptional people. Flint employed over 10,000 employees and operated from over 60 locations throughout North America. Flint's new 10 year vision is to be the most respected energy services company in the world.
2007 - Plant maintenance services worth $1 billion in five-year rolling contract for Suncor signed with Flint Transfield and five other suppliers. Broad range of services will cover Suncor's oil sands projects in Ft. McMurray and Sarnia refinery plus additional project areas. Flint's 9,000 employees serve customers in 60 locations from the southern border of Texas to the tip of Norman Wells, Northwest Territories.
2006 - Acquisition of Bonnyville-based Denmar Energy Services in July. Transfield Services joint venture was initiated, under FT Services, to pursue plant maintenance contracts. Acquisition of Alberta-based Transco Energy Services Ltd. in December. Equity financing in December raised $137.7 million (2.4mm shares at $56.50 per share). Two-for-one stock split completed in December.
2002 - 2005 - Acquired Cantu Lease in Texas in 2002 and Western Slope Oilfield in Colorado in 2004. Mackenzie Valley Construction (49% interest) in 2005. Revenues exceeded $1 billion in 2005.
2001 - Acquired Safety Hawk Services and Chapparal Equipment and Services in Texas. Acquired IPEC Ltd., launching Flint as a public company under the symbol FES listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Head office located in Calgary, Alberta.
2000 - Acquired Titan Electric and Controls, Procall Management and Klinger's Oilfield Services.
1998 - Flint Energy Services Ltd. was incorporated. SCF Partners invests in Flint and the acquisitions completed included HMW Group, Braidnor, Reids Construction, plus Flint Canada and Flint Energy Construction forming Flint Energy Services Ltd. establishing the company's core integrated services.
1993 - Renamed Flint Canada Inc.
1973 - Five Flint companies combine as Flint Industries.
1960s - Plant maintenance services and production services provided in Alberta. Flint Engineering and Construction Ltd. in Canada and Flint Engineering and Construction Co. in U.S. were formed from Flint Rig offering a diversity of specialized services. Flint acquired Kent Well Services in Kansas in 1963.
1950s - Flint added Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas to operations and closed some locations in Illinois and Oklahoma. Oil lumber yards were closed. Canadian office opened in 1951. In 1955, Flint entered well servicing segment in Canada. Stateside head office moved from Tulsa to Billings, Montana. In 1957, operations moved to Calgary and were renamed Flint Engineering & Construction.
1946 - 1949 - Leduc #1 spudded in November 1946 - the well that began the commercial oil business in Alberta. In 1947, a major contract was awarded worth approximately $100,000 with Shell Oil Company for water flood systems in Benton, Illinois. In 1949, Flint entered into Canadian market. Edmonton office opened and Flint began work in Stettler area of central Alberta. Total sales were $117,000. Ten years later, sales were $2.5 million in Canada and sales more than doubled again over the next nine years.
1940s - Flint Rig pioneered water flooding operations with one of the first systems in Illinois. During WWII, well service equipment acquired from Cities Services Company expanded Flint's services further.
1934 - Flint Rig formed American Steel Derrick Company when steel-fabricated derricks came into fashion. Acquired Tulsa Boiler and Machinery Co. (founded in 1913) for boilers and pressure valves.
1927 - Flint Rig incorporated in Oklahoma. Wooden derricks were replaced with steel. C.W. Flint Sr. and K.W. Flint formed Flint Rig Company to build oil well derricks. Began with $6,900 investment to start up company headquartered in Tulsa with one district office.
1919 - C.W. Flint Sr. took control of Tulsa Rig. Wood derrick construction led to an investment in lumber mills and the expansion of the construction business.
1908 - 1911 - In the beginning … In 1908, Tulsa Rig, Reel & Manufacturing Co. began supplying wooden oilfield rigs and derricks during Oklahoma’s oil boom. C.W. Flint, Sr. joined Tulsa Rig, Reel & Manufacturing in 1911, and by 1919, he and a partner owned the company and continued designing wooden rigs and derricks.